I stumbled upon Google Docs the other day. As is frequently the case, I am surprised at the availability of useful tools that Google provides. This is another example of that.
Google docs allows you to create documents,Presentations (slide shows) and spreadsheets online.
There are several advantages here:
1. You don’t have to spend hundreds of dollars for it.
2. You don’t have to wait all day for it to download and then install.
3. If you are working on something and your computer dies (say a term paper that’s due in two hours) you will only lose a few minutes of work at the maximum.
4. You can access your Google Docs ANYWHERE you have internet access.
5. You can share documents with classmates, coworkers or employees.
Over all, it is pretty useful. I’m not sure about the security, but then again I usually follow the general rule of thumb:
“Don’t put it online if you would not want to share it with everyone”
That’s not to say these documents are public, but we’ve all read instances of accounts like this cracked into and personal files leaked or stolen.
Be safe, don’t put your credit card numbers and personal information in these papers.
That being said, I still think this is an amazingly useful tool for all kinds of documents. I personally use it for storing things like Keyword analysis and such. Things that aren’t personal information and probably aren’t going to make much sense or be of much use to others anyways! 🙂
Check it out at http://docs.google.com.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.